In marketing, audiovisual communication strategies are the order of the day. More and more companies hire professional services and create specific channels, such as Orange Spain. Contacting customers, suppliers and future workers are key, and video stands as a trend.
For large companies, which have a relatively loose marketing budget, hiring these services is easier than for an SME. Let’s not say for a freelance. In this article, we give some keys to make free videos for your company. If not free, at least at low cost. When you go for the high quality video marketing the options will be the best.
What material do you need to record a video?
- Platforms like YouTube or Vimeo are free, so web hosting does not involve a cost. Depending on the video format, we can choose some tools or others:
- Animated videos are usually friendly and present very well the services and products of a company. But designing them is usually much more difficult if we lack knowledge.
- On the other hand, videos with people are easier but require the collaboration of more people. A good marketing idea is to put expert workers from our company in front of the camera.
- Workers aligned with the mission, vision, and values of a company are the best way to promote a brand. On the other hand, not everyone will want to appear in promotional videos. A good previous internal marketing campaign can help when recruiting volunteers.
- With regard to recording devices, smartphones already have very high-quality cameras. It is not necessary to buy a good camera, although there are options to rent them. Where you may have to invest something is in a good microphone, often a neglected, undervalued and non-existent element. A video with bad audio will be little seen or shared.
Set a script for the video
Whether we outsource the video or want to do it for free (at the cost of our time, of course), we need a script. Before starting to record, we need to establish some basic guides:
What do we want to show with the video?
- It can be part of the know-how of our company, a long-term promotional campaign or the development of a new product dependent on crowdfunding, among others.
- How are we going to teach it? A storyboard (below) is an audiovisual tool in which scene by scene is drawn what will appear in the video. We can replace it with a written script: who comes out, what will he say, how will he say it, etc.
Is the message interpreted well? Many communication campaigns fall or do not work because the message does not arrive. Or worse, it is misinterpreted. Teaching our friends or family how the video will be could be a support.
We can ask for help from nearby employees and managers, who can provide interesting ideas. However, we must make it clear who is responsible for the video. It is rare that the one who best writes and knows how to express ideas is the one who knows the most about recording. Distributing roles and delegating is one of the most difficult tasks.